How do you play choose opponents in wifi?

Thread in 'Strategy' started by caffeine, 14 Aug 2006.

1. Do you play until the opponent quits? Do you try to find the highest rated player you can play?

2. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

It's been awhile since I've played(online).

But I usually play till the opponent quits. Unless he's too hardcore for me to challenge, then I'd bail out.

But don't you just hate it when you're on a winning streak, opponent got lucky, and steals the points you just earned from him? Sucks big time.

3. Sully

Sully Unregistered

If they're at least 7000, I almost always play until they quit. Unless I rattle off like 10 in a row, at which point a single loss will ruin many of the wins, and since I'm a misdropping moron, I will lose sooner than later.

If they're much higher than me, I don't quit first, even if they give me a solid beating. I almost ALWAYS gain points from very high rated opponents, because I have it in me to play like an 8000 player every once in a while, and if they aren't on their A game for that particular match, they will lose to me.

If they're much lower than me, I quit after one game. I hate losing a ton of points to disconnect or a stupid mistake.

4. I think what Sully described is pretty much the way most people in our rating bracket play. Except I'll usually go to 3 games against low-rated people, unless they're below 5000.

5. i leave after the first game for all opponents except ones at most two hundred below me or higher. if i keep running into a the same low rated player, i'll play the first then leave over and over. [​IMG]

6. Sully

Sully Unregistered

Well, when you're usually around 7300, there are a lot more opponents within range. Try hanging with us for a while!

7. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Unregistered

I lost a few matches in 4 player again, so I'm embarrassingly low at the moment. In addition, that night I had a thunderstorm that killed my wireless router.

8. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

personaly i play untill i either get a run of wins, if the person is was higher then me i play untill i win then bail, or play untill they quit

9. cosmonaut

cosmonaut Unregistered

if the players are 66xx or below i play them indefinitely. their loss is my gain and i rarely rarely lose to a player below 6800. If they are targeting i leave. Usually i can rattle off 5 or 6 in a row before they leave.

if more than 1 player is above 7100 i leave after the first game. If there is only 1 player in the 7xxx's i'll stay for two or three.

10. You coward cosmonaut. I just play until someone quits. Unless I'm over 7600, then I only play one or two, because after the second win the other 3 people suss out that they can win by sending me all their garbage.

11. Josh

Josh Unregistered

I tend to try to find high rated players and play as much as I can with them. I know if I'm having a real good day in Tetris I can pull off a few wins against them. I also like to play any players in the 6000's for as much as I can, particularly in 4 player mode. I try to stay away from push as much as I can because I get murdered by really good players(Caithness, I'm looking at you [​IMG] ). Once I understand the push strategy better I might play it a lot.

I also tend to instantly leave after playing a game with ANYONE in the 3000's. My rating barely goes up if I win and for all I know, they might be killing their rating on purpose to kill a top rated player later on. It's just damgerous playing them no matter what.