How come I suck so much at Death?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by sjoecool1991, 15 Jan 2008.

1. Because my best record for surviving on TA Death is 147.

My record for secret grade is S7

and my record for Master mode is rank 1.

Any tips for improving?

2. It sounds like you're just not used to 20G. Continue playing Master mode, or even use the 20G code. The fastest way to improve would be to play perhaps 30 minutes a day like this for a week. After that you'd blow your Death record away.

3. Muf

Muf

Train hard! Play some Death mode every day, and Master on weekends. Don't worry, I'm grade 1 as well, and you don't want to know how much I suck at Death. My biggest improvements were when I played every day. When I just started playing I literally went from grade 6 to grade 1 in 4 days! Now I just have to push further, I have cleared the torikan once, now my goal is to get S1, and hopefully more from there on.

4. I don't really understand how to use codes in TGM2.

5. Either at the title screen, or when it says "Press Player 1 Start" you enter in the codes.

For 20G it is down eight times, and then button C, then B, then A

6. Or you can do what I do and just play whenever you feel like playing. If you aren't into it then you won't get anywhere.

7. That's important too. If you binge practice, you'll probably get sick of tetris and then stop playing for a while. If you pace yourself, you'll "never get enough" and keep coming back for more every day.

8. It's all about making good habits and setting goals (or in my case, benchmarks). Start with one thing you'll do on a regular basis, make it easy to stick to, and then actually stick to it. If one day you feel like it, I don't see how a binge could hurt you. Sometimes they're the best thing to get you over a certain hump.

9. Muf

Muf

Well, for me, personally, daily practice keeps things interesting. It's what I did when I trained UT'99 back in the day, and it's what I did when I trained Quake3 two years ago. If I don't play at least a few times a week I start making up excuses for myself like "I have to get into it again" or "I'm rusty". I usually only stop playing for a while when someone of the opposite gender catches my interest...

10. Poochy

Poochy Unregistered

And I've found from personal experience that it helps to be a total geek, 'cause then this doesn't happen... [​IMG]

11. jujube

jujube Unregistered

how do you get enough practice without getting sick of tetris?

1. binge on TAP

2. binge on Tetris Zone

3. binge on Tetris DS

4. binge on TGM1

5. binge on Lockjaw

6. binge on Heboris

7. binge on Tetris New Century

8. binge on Cultris

9. binge on Sega Tetris

10. binge on NES Tetris

and repeat. part of the fun is getting over the tetlag, which makes you feel like you're improving [​IMG] then push it a little further and show real improvement before moving onto the next game. you might never be a GM, but you'll be proficient at everything. to me it's fun to jump around between games, and i think people improve faster when they have fun.

12. lol, i get a similar affect by re optimizing my key config semiannually.

13. I got TGM1 again, but now it won't run in Zinc.

It says "cannot open renderer plugin".

Anyone know the problem?

EDIT: okay, I got the game running, but no sound.

PS: I see myself improving a little in Death mode. I now get past level 120 every time, where I used to die all the time before lvl 100.

14. i reall suggest you to play the 20g mode in tap instead of tgm1 and zinc.

the mame_no background version works so much smoother and better. in zinc, i had many problems to even reach 250, and after discovering that 20g mode is available with that "8xdown+c,b,a" in TAP also, i made at the first attemt a 368 run!! unbelievable!!

can someone explain that? why did i got a 368 in TAP20g and, on the other hand, after many many game in tgm1+zinc my best was only 255 ?

it also seems to me that zinc is more processor hungry. maybe i am so bad at zinc because my humble athlon xp 2200+ is too slow for zinc..

15. gila

gila Unregistered

yeah, i don't really know, but it feels to me like TAP has a slighty better randomizer, i don't know why.

16. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

TGM1: history 4 rolls

TGM2/3 (TA, TAP, TI): history 6 rolls

TGM Ace: bag

17. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

I have never seen something as strange..

Have you improved since ? On Death ?

18. Yeah, a little.

Whats so strange?

PS: TGM1 S6

19. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

It is totaly unbalanced !

I am S7 on the secret grad, and I have the 2 m ranks.. [​IMG]
    I know a lot of player (on tc and away), who can reach 250+ on DEATH mode, and they are still rank 2..And there is a big difference between rank 2 and 1..

20. Secret grade seems easy to me for some reason.

I am basically a puzzle game veteran (puyo, Panel De Pon, Puzzle Fighter, etc).

Maybe that made it easier to me.

My speed is terrible, the only thing I am moderately fast in is Stepmania (about 245 BPM 16 streams) though I did used to be crazy fast at index when I played it all the time (270 BPM 16th streams). Still not near Izzy though.