FSTE PS3 on Laptop (chipset problem)

Thread in 'Hardware' started by Amnesia, 4 Jan 2010.

1. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Today, I still can't play with my FSTE for PS3, on my laptop.
    I tried with :

1 : a PCMCIA card USB with a the CHIPSET VIA required, then I discovered that I have a PCMCIA hole on the flank of my laptop, but inside, the port is EXPRESS CARD.

2 : I tried with an EXPRESS CARD, the most complete and advanced I found in a big informatic store, (I will put a photo of the specs soon.)

Nothing seems to work. After some researches, I have to admit the fact that the product I am looking for doesn't exist with EXPRESS CARD format, it can only be found in PCMCIA. The last thing I can do is to fit the joystick in my ass and see if it works.
    I will wait if you have some advices to give after I put the photos of the 2 products I attempted, then I will sell my joystick in Paris (110 € for people interested.)

Last edited: 4 Jan 2010
  2. Muf

Muf

As far as I can tell, this is because ExpressCard itself is USB-- there are connections for both PCI-Express lanes (this is where the name "ExpressCard" comes from) but also a USB 2.0 port. So the cheapest solution for an ExpressCard "USB Adapter" is to just piggyback a USB hub on top of the existing USB port that resides inside the ExpressCard port. I did find some OHCI/EHCI ExpressCard USB adapters that are actual USB adapters (and not USB hubs in disguise), but these use a NEC chipset, and you need an Intel or VIA chipset (or anything that supports UHCI). I know this is getting confusing, but bear with me.

So to summarise:
    • The PS3 FSTE works with USB chipsets that support UHCI.
    • Chipsets that support UHCI are from Intel or VIA
    • OHCI or EHCI are different from UHCI, and will not work
    • ExpressCard adapters that don't list what chipset they use are probably USB hubs in disguise, and will not work
    • ExpressCard adapters with a NEC chipset support OHCI and EHCI, and will not work

It's a really unfortunate situation you find yourself in, Amnesia. :( Maybe you can offer your FSTE for trade on forums like Neo-Arcadia (French), Arcade-System (French), Console-League (French), ArcadeOtaku (British/European), Shmups forum (International), or maybe even here, to trade for an Xbox 360 version of the FSTE? That way the only thing you'll lose is some shipping expenses.

3. I've offered to trade for my HRAP3.

4. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

mmhm. Thank you muf.:rolleyes:

5. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

http://sewelldirect.com/Express-Card-to-PCMCIA-Adapter.asp

one possible solution. it's expensive though.
    (it hooks up a pcmcia card to an expresscard slot)

UHCI is usb 1.0
    OHCH is 1.1
    EHCI is 2.0

so i think any expresscard claiming usb 1.0 compatibiliy (of which i've found none) will work.

6. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

interesting..But I don't wish to spend more money now on this joystick..It costed me 115 €, but I spent in totality 155 and I still can't play.
    c_t I am thinking about it...

7. i wish i could offer a fix but the madcatz pcb is garbage and there's nothing that's gonna change that. the TE sticks were supposed to signal a change for madcatz but time has shown they are really poorly constructed sticks and HRAPs are much better.

8. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

I know c_t, but I wish first at least recover my money, 115 € I bought it, 110 I will try to recover. I don't want to play with a stick for 300 €.

By the way, exchanging our joystick across the atlantic will make us pay at least 60 € each for delivery.

No don't worry, let me just ebay it.

9. Muf

Muf

What about the trading forums I linked? Every single one I listed has a for sale/for trade board. You're likely to get a higher success rate because the members are all arcade/console gaming enthusiasts. Might even be someone wants to trade their 360 FSTE for your PS3 version.

10. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Oh sorry I had forgotten those links.
    Sure I will have less difficulty to explain there why I am trying to resell a joystick right after having bought it to a several person.

At least expert people will understand my problem but try to tell me WHO would need to exchange his XBOX360 version with a PS3 ? I am trying to imagine a context where it would be possible but I can't :D

11. http://neoempire.com/forum/index.php is another good european fighting game site. It's British centric but I don't think shipping from British to France should be that expensive if someone wanted to trade. Also a lot of people trade sticks actually. It's common to see someone on SRK wanting to trade/sell their 360 stuff because their console keeps breaking down on them and they switch to PS3.

12. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

right. XBOX360s are infamous for Red Ring of Death. Poepel get tired of them breaking, and end up getting a ps3 instead, especialyl now that the price has came down on the slim ps3s.

so anyone who had a 360 stick and now uses a ps3 instead should be willing to trade.