Tournament: CONTEST N1 : 0G player class (Round 2)

Thread in 'Competition' started by Amnesia, 16 Oct 2008.

1. Interesting. To my knowledge neither of you play much 0G and Baxter isn't Death M yet. Close games.

2. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Oh you are not alone..But for the culture at least, it is interesting..

EDIT : 5 matches in 2 weeks, and there is 19 remaining matches..
    blink, I really wonder what would have been better..Maybe that was an impossible project.. [​IMG]
    But no pressure, I repeat that I am not opposed to very long delays..If that can let some additional hours of training to defeat blink, it is not that bad..
    Maybe that is the reason that you are so impatient.. [​IMG]
    Technically speaking, it is almost sure if jono learns a bit some basis of versus strategy, he could become the winner of this contest.

3. No.......the reason is because this tournament would take half a year or longer to finish at the pace it was going. But if you think I was trying to get things done faster because I'm scared people are going to improve, then by all means delay the tournament all you want. We'll see who still cares about this tournament in another 3 months, honestly I believe less than 5 people even care about it today. In the end, it's your tournament, run it however you like. I don't want you blaming its failure on my impatience. I don't even think I was being as impatient as you made me sound, I waited over a month for the first round before I even said anything to you. If you believe that extending the tournament deadlines will save this tournament, then who cares what I say. I actually hope you delay the tournament longer now, so you can stop bringing me up like it's my fault.

4. Muf

Muf

I think it's pretty clear the endless compromises killed it. It's pretty safe to say about half the people lost interested when the game moved from Hebo Mini to Blockbox.

5. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Hey blink calm down ! [​IMG]

Is my humour so hard to get ??
    Ahh..
    Anyway, I will continu to let it go..We will see, that won't kill anybody if this contest have to be canceled in the close future..

blink, unless I anounce a special price of 3000$ for the winner and 1000$ for the second, it is impossible to impose short delay in expecting that 90% of the players will be present. Honnestly, I have the feeling that I could not do a lot of thing to arrange the situation, or avoid it.

There is another problem I think, maybe it is only me, but we can easily notice than the score is exponentialy the reflect of a difference between 2 players, which kills a lot the suspense..I mean, say 2 players, with a skill at "x" and the second at "1,1x", the result we give us an enormous gap in the score, like 15-3, which is not the case in a soccer comp for example, where the Danemark could defeat the brazil, with much more probability than a Rosti who could beat a blink.

I have a reply for that, I let a long period to allow informatician expert people to find a solution about the garbage problem..Many people told me that they was about to solve the bug, but nothing has been done..If I had waited, blink or somebody else would have made the same reproach about the delay between the registering and the starting of the 1st round.

6. jujube

jujube Unregistered

yeah, that seems to be the general mood. and i agree that extending the tournament won't really make people want to play more. people will just keep dropping out or losing interest. oh well, not much we can do. people want to do their own thing. i doubt that anyone is delaying their match to get more practice. they're just playing single player modes in blockbox or playing different games. i don't want people to feel obligated to play me if they don't want to, so i don't really care one way or the other if my matches get played, but i'll be around at IRC and i'm available most weeknights and at random times on weekends.

7. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

I'll be available pretty much everyday for a few weeks since I'm on break. I'm not really the type that goes looking for my opponents so hopefully you guys come looking for me. [​IMG]

8. I have really lost interest in it. I will play any opponent who wants to play. I haven't been on much though due to the time of year. All the finals and final papers and projects are all done these last couple weeks of the semester. As much as I enjoy tetris I can only take out a little time during the day recently to play tetris and that usually is at like 4:00 am EST. I apologize to my opponents for not being active but my schoolwork needs to come before any sort of gaming. I'll try to play my matches this coming week when I get off of school.

Edit:I just read my message. I meant to start off as "I haven't really lost interest in it." When typing I often forget to add that last part to make it a negative. My bad. What I meant to say is that it isn't lack of interest, it is because this time of year is very busy for school work until I get my winter break. I apologize for the confusion .

9. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

ok..Understood !

I imagine that when you all people, have registered, you had a bit of interest for it no ?

So now that everybody don't care anymore about it, please tell me where I failed in the managing of this contest..blink already gave his opinion..

-thanks-

10. I don't think it is because you have really messed up anything Amnesia. I fixed my previous post by the way, I didn't realize that I screwed up a word that changed the entire tone of my post.

I have a link from the Cultris forum to show you. http://cultris.ath.cx/forum/topic.asp?$sid=&id=217

This tournament started Nov 1st. They are still in the second round of the tournament and only half the matches in it have been done. Not to mention the second round is smaller in the Cultris tournament than this tournament.

From my experience with online tournaments is that they take awhile to finish. That length of time really helps to put a damper on any tournament. It starts off strong but then kind of gets a sluggish feeling when so many rounds take awhile. I still would like to see this tournament end, and I think it there can be some interesting battles ahead.

Another problem with the online tournaments is the varying timezones. Due to my awkward hours I am usually awake between 3pm-5am EST on non class days, 10am to 3 am on class days. So, I might be able to catch Jono, but it can be hard for others. I presume Jono has a tough time with his timezone being so different the a lot of the other players.

Online tournaments are just difficult regardless of what you do, at least from my experience. I think there is still support for this tournament, some people are just busy at the moment.

11. Jan

Jan

Jan 15 - 6 Baxter

12. Hmm, when playing VS against Jan, he generally wins more than I do... I do feel like I could have made it a lot harder for him.

13. So what if this tournament takes a while? It's not like it's going to take up any more of my free time if it finishes in March rather than next week. I'd rather see it finished and take a while rather than just get abandoned, because I don't really see what the issue is with longevity.

14. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Ah ha ha.. [​IMG]
    Very funny confusion Red Star..
    Anyway.

I am glad to see that some people are not bored by the delay..
    I repeat it, taking some risk for making you upset again blink, but I have to admit that you made me feel pressured and a lot scared because I really thought that everybody has lost interest like blink. If I was the favorite player like you, I think I would have the same sentiment of impatience.
    But I tell you, I don't want you to take that as an offence, it is thank to you that I got pressured, and pushed a bit more things to progress.
    And strangely, since that, the matches seems to run again. [​IMG]

15. "So what if this tournament takes a while?"

A one month commitment is a totally different thing than a "indefinite... could last forever" commitment. I want to know that this thing will actually be completed before I put in the work required to contact and arrange a match time that's good for both my opponent and myself (something I need to do three times a round?).

I for one don't like responsibilities hanging in the back of my mind for an unknown amount of time.

16. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Consider that it could be cancelled if everybody doesn't speak about it during 1 month..
    And if I really see that there is no hope anymore, I won't insist..
    But at this day, no question to cancel it. I want to see the last matches !!

But currently I want to see the choc of the different cultures : c_t VS jujube [​IMG]

17. Even when I am in Europe on a laggy poor PC...my commitment is resolute!

KevinDDR vs. Burbruee

KevinDDR 15
    Burbruee 1

KevinDDR wins.

Good games Burbruee! Your name is hard to type for some reason! Yeah!

18. Jan

Jan

Jan 15 - 1 Dehacked

19. colour_thief 15 - 0 Burbruee

Good games, came close one time.. [​IMG]

20. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Hmm..DHE.. [​IMG]

I am sure you don't play seriously..You deserve a better performance.

Thaks for these games people !
    it is becoming more and more destructor..
    There is not close games anymore here..