Classic Tetris Tournament - Wisconsin

Thread in 'Locations & Events' started by rizz1010, 8 Jul 2013.

1. Update:
    The time has moved forward 2 hours, and will start at 12pm

Hi everyone,

There will be a FREE Tetris tournament at GeekKon in Madison, WI. The convention itself is going all weekend, and the Tetris tournament will be on Sunday, August 25.
    From 12:00pm - 1pm, play NES Mode B for seeding.
    At 1pm, we'll start the finals with player vs player on Super NES.

BDCowe and I (rizz1010) will be there running it, as well as competing in it. It's totally free, so I'm afraid there won't be any big prizes, but it's a chance to play some competitive Tetris face to face with other TetrisConcept regulars. Hope to see you there!

Last edited: 1 Aug 2013
  2. I will indeed be at the tourney, as well. I'm arriving on Saturday, August 24th, and will be participating and helping out with the competition on the 25th. I hope to see some of you there! :)

3. Wish it was closer! Let us know how it goes. :)

4. No doubt. I know there are the couple of bigger individual tourneys out there, but I'd love a proper regional team showdown. :p Just sayin'. A boy can dream...

5. Hmm... I have in-laws in Madison actually. This might be a possibility.

6. Hope you can make it - at Midwest Gaming Classic earlier in the year, several of us got together for pizza, beer & tetris. I'd be up for that again. :)

7. Agreed. While the qualifying and tournament at MGC was great, the chill Saturday night really made the weekend.

8. I talked to my wife and this is a very likely possibility for me. She can get points for visiting the folks while I'm off playing Tetris. :)

9. Make it so... :p Really, though, that'd be awesome. There will likely be a whole host of Tetrises to play. B)

10. Tell those Geek.Kon guys to update their page. There's a lot of missing information for it only being a month away!

Also, you should add a Tetris entry in their forums.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2013
  11. I filled out the forum registration at geekkon.net, so I will soon advertise the tournament there.

I think their site will be updated soon - I had to submit an entry for their booklet which describes the Tetris tournament. I dug out last year's booklet (49 pages!) which goes over all the panels, events, tournament, contests, etc happening. The convention covers lots of areas - cosplay, video gaming, table top gaming, LAN gaming, etc.

12. Please note the minor time change, moving the start of the tournament to noon on Sunday, rather than 10am.

13. blerg i really wish i could make this. Although i will say there is now about a 10% chance i could... still on the low side. I'm going to think about it.

14. Mullen...you're leavin' me sullen. :facepalm:

15. I am leaning towards a yes...talk me into it!

16. Um...the finals are on SNES, so, you know... ;)

17. Think of it as Midwest Gaming Classic part 2.
    Driving distance for you would be just a bit less then MGC.
    The convention doesn't really shut down at night - it keeps going if I recall.
    Plus, I need a re-rematch.

18. Update for Josh & Ben M:

It sounds like Chad M will be joining in the fun too. Looks like you'll be missing out if you don't join us.

Are there any other 'new' people that might be interested in this tournament? Good to see DonAtreides join our midwest gathering.

19. Well, I can't walk around calling myself the Champion of the Midwest and not show up for these things ;) Count me in!

20. Good Luck all! Please record if you can.

(Saving my monies for Portland, plane ride already booked)