Fuck You, Arika

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Quad, 6 May 2009.

1. I just got this (DMCA message on YouTube):

for a video of an early version of my Tetris Clone L2Stack:

I will go to court about this if they want to. They've not got shit on my video.

2. Deniax

Deniax Blockbox developer

Care to translate it?

3. It's the standard "We're taking your video off YouTube because a company has claimed to own parts of it" message from Arika Co. (the japanese text).

4. free

free Unregistered

I wonder why they even do this.

Reminds me of big companies suing developers for using progress bars in their own progams.

5. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Under the video in your list of videos, do you have a "dispute" button?

6. They don't have shit on any of our videos, it's just that none of us could be bothered giving them our name, address, phone number, fingerprint, DNA sample, dental records and extended family tree to get the videos put back up.

7. Tepples, Arika thinks your game infringes on their copyright. Seriously, how much more bland can a Tetris video get?

Arika blows.

[​IMG]

8. tepples

The video that "will be flagged" was removed. I followed the procedure described here and sent the following message to copyright@youtube.com, with a PGP signature:

9. This is what I'm going to do, just need to scan my signature here at school. They can then decide if they want to take it to court, which they of course will not do. But somehow I feel like I will get sued later anyway for other resons when L2Stack sucks less. It amazes me that Report has not been attacked for Texmaster.

I think it is really bad that a corporation can remove videos of Tetris Clones on YouTube. It's really legal bullying.

10. I'm pretty sure that anyone can have videos removed on youtube - they don't really bother making sure that the claims are valid as it would take up way too much time. Instead they just remove everything for every notice they receive and in case a user feel that a video was wrongfully removed they they can file a counter-claim to have the video brought back.

If they want to have the video removed beyond that, they'll have to take it to court.

11. Oh, okay, that's totally reasonable. Right. :G

12. Hahhaha, So I go to click on the one of the youtube links on this page and this is what I see.

Hahaa, Guess they are doing runs through Youtube. What is weird is video 325 (my Textmaster Sudden TI run) was deleted awhile ago because of copyright infringement when they first started doing this. It showed up again awhile after in my account and now I am getting problems with it again. I don't get it.

13. Tepples, that is awesome, no Japanese company can stomp all over us, I would've sent my counter-claim long ago but I can't freaking find our scanner. As soon as I do, though, I'm joining the fight.

They are removing LOCKJAW videos, now? They've already crossed the line but now they've came back and crossed it again twice.

14. He's using Sega colors! GET HIM!

15. tepples

The 3-minute mode in Lockjaw isn't even based on TGM rules; it's based on the rules of Tetris Zone. So I wonder why that takedown was from Arika and not directly from Tetris.

They are. When I sent my PGP-signed counter-notice to YouTube, this was part of the auto-reply:
    So there's a tool for submitting notices, but no tool for submitting counter-notices unless the takedown was from YouTube's automated content-matching (e.g. Warner Bros. Records stuff). It's becoming clearer to me that copyright owners have been using the tool to send out scatter-shot takedown notices without inspecting each video for infringement. Read someone's story of getting scatter-shot by Viacom.

kotetsu213: If you have PGP or GPG, I think you can use that to sign your counter-notice instead of attaching a PNG of your John Hancock.

16. I just realized a digital camera does the job too [​IMG]

I urge everyone who's had their videos removed from YouTubed based on these LUDICROUS grounds to send in counter-claims!

17. Tepples, I wouldn't post my address of residence and phone number where everyone can see it if I were you.

18. tepples

Why not?

19. Wouldn't quitting Tetris be tantamount to giving up and letting TTC win, Tepples? Something tells me they'd be perfectly happy if nobody ever made another clone again.

20. <Kitaru> o